Another death penny has been saved from the scrap heap. This time belonging to a Wombwell soldier named Frank Pettitt. The penny was found by an employee at Wallis Metals, Goldthorpe, who realizing it's historical significance rescued it from it's immanent fate. It was taken into the office where it was spotted by my mum, who passed news of the find to me.
 |
| Frank Pettitt's death penny |
I recognized the name on the plaque immediately. Although I offered to buy the death penny, the scrapyard owner wouldn't hear of it and donated it to me for the exhibition at St. Mary's Church (which took place this Friday & Saturday.) By Chance the Wombwell Heritage Group had already been researching men from Hawson Street for the display, which included Frank and his brother Henry.
 |
Frank Pettitt from the Mexborough and Swinton Times. Image with thanks to The Wombwell Heritage Group and Barnsley Archives |
Frank was killed in action on 12th October 1917 and is buried at Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) cemetery in Belgium. I will write a biography of Frank on a separate post in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment