Tuesday, 7 October 2014

About This Blog

Let me explain why I decided to start this blog. A long time ago I inherited a photograph album that belonged to my great grandmother Evelyn Robinson (nee Hudson). The album contained many photographs of young men in WWI uniform including her own brothers; One of whom, Raymond Hudson, died in France. For many years the album sat in a cupboard forgotten, but now the anniversary of WWI has inspired me to begin researching these men in detail. I want to uncover who they were, what they did, where they lived.  This journey of discovery led me to the Barnsley War Memorials Project. Who have helped me immensely in where to get started.

I decided that as well as researching the men from the album, that I would try to identify all the men commemorated on the St Mary's War memorial.  Obviously it is early days and I have only just begun to find them on the CWGC.org. Once I have identified a soldier I have been adding him to a group on Livesofthefirstworldwar.org. When I have found as many men as possible I will create an individual blog post for each soldier with a biography and military details.









No comments:

Post a Comment