Thursday, 20 November 2014

Grave of Private Herbert Vickers


Inscription:
4971 Private / H VICKERS /
Kings Own Yorkshire L.I /
2nd November 1915 Age 41 /
Gone but not forgotten /

Grave Location:
Con 9, 3680,
Wombwell Cemetery

Memorial that commemorate Herbert Vickers include:
St. Mary's Church War Memorial, Park Street Wombwell
Kirkhamgate War Memorial, Wakefield (Herbert's wife lived there)


(There is a Herbert Vickers remembered at Hoyle Mill and on Hoyland war memorial,
but this is more likely to be a Herbert Vickers from Ardsley who served with the York and Lancaster regiment and died 5th May 1915.)

Learn more about Herbert Vickers:
CWGC.org - Casualty Details


5 comments:

  1. Can I just say that Herbert Vickers is remembered on the Kirkhamgate War Memorial but I think he was missed off the Wakefield Family History Sharing transcription of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet,
      Thanks for getting in touch to let me know Herbert Vickers is on the Kikhamgate memorial after all. I had a look online to see if I could see him on it at the time of writing this blog post. I appreciate you getting in touch to correct me on this & I will amend the blog post accordingly. Thanks again, :)
      Fay

      Delete
    2. No problem. Btw a memorial published in the Wakefield Express of 1917 by his widow says he died in Clipstone Camp Notts.

      Delete
    3. That's great info to have & will help me with future research. Thanks for sharing. Are you researching the Kirkhamgate war memorial?

      Delete
  2. Hi, yes I'm researching Kirkhamgate and Wrenthorpe St Anne's Memorials. X

    ReplyDelete