I visited Wombwell cemetery earlier today, to search for headstones commemorating WW1 soldiers.
 |
| Wombwell Cemetery |
I was unable to find memorials to the two soldiers I was actually looking for (Robert Arthur Killingreay and Cooper Allen Robinson.) Both those headstones had either been removed or become grown over. I did however accidentally stumble across a memorial to Sergeant George Brough.
 |
| Kerbstone with an inscription to George Brough |
George Brough enlisted in Liverpool and served with the Royal Horse and Field Artillery. He died on 27th October 1918 and was interred at Tourgeville cemetery, France. A fortnight after his death, George's widow Edith Smart gave birth to a son, she named George.
 |
Headstone comemorating J E Russell
Photo credit Pete Schofield of the BMWP |
Earlier in the month Pete Schofield of the
Barnsley War Memorial Project also visited the cemetery and found two headstones commemorating Wombwell soldiers
Luke Barker and
James Edward Russell.
All the headstones are nice!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Stephan.
Delete